(Senior) Backend Software Engineer
We’re on a mission
Here at GoBear we’re on a super powerful mission! Our purpose is to improve people’s financial health, so that together we can build more secure, stable and sustainable communities across Asia. By working closely with our partners, we make financial products easier to understand and easier to access based on individual needs. That, in turn, helps people live their lives on their own terms.
We’re looking for people (or bears, as we like to call them) who are charged up by this mission. Obviously, we want our bears to be smart and hard-working but, more importantly, we want bears who love solving problems, working in close-knit teams and coming up with crazy ideas.
If that sounds good, then read on!
Who's in the zoo?
You’ll be reporting into the Development Manager and you’ll also get to hang out with the scrum master and work closely with the product design team and DevOps based in the regional office in Singapore.
You will physically sit with the GoBear Code Unit (GCU), which is our in-house software development team. Attached to the regional team, GCU works closely with the Product Development and Design Teams from Singapore. GCU has their own dedicated, developer-focused office located in District 2, located in a newly renovated villa with
What kind of fun will you get up to at GoBear?
- You will build and architect software that will be deployed both in our public-facing website as well as internal line-of-business applications.
- You will be expected to focus on building high-quality software
- Employ software best-practices like Test-Driven Development
- Architect and build robust, scalable, API-driven server-side services
- Keep track of, and push the boundaries w.r.t. new technologies e.g. Serverless Computing, Microservices etc.
- Lead R&D efforts to explore new technology that allows GoBear to maintain it’s competitive edge
- Embrace the twelve factors ( https://12factor.net/)
- A solid understanding of English (written and oral)
- Preferred to have a working knowledge of NoSQL (schemaless) database systems
- Experience working with relational database systems
- Preference will be given tcandidates with functional programming experience (e.g. Scala, Haskell, F# etc.)
- Experience programming in at least three imperative programming languages, at least one of which must be a strongly typed language
- A good understanding of Object-Oriented programming fundamentals, and how to apply them
Preference will be given to candidates with experience in any of the following areas (the more the better):
- CouchBase, CouchDB, MongoDB, DynamoDB, Azure DocumentDB/CosmosDB, PostgreSQL, MSSQL, MySQL, Apache Ignite, Hazelcast, Redis
- Experience deploying software with Cloud Service Providers e.g. Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS or Google Cloud Platform
- Experience in building and designing microservice architectures
- Bachelors in Computer Science, Information Systems or other related fields
- At least 6 years of software development experience, twof which needs tbe in a Tech Lead role
Does this sound like you?
- You’re kind.
- You have the ability to communicate complex concepts in an understandable manner.
- You’re willing to coach and teach others.
- You have a preference for persuading others through calm, respectful, rational argument.
- You are always learning. A hunger for knowledge, discovery and learning new things.
- You are always-improving. An acknowledgment that we can always be better, and a willingness to keep seeking the better way.
- You’re kind (yes I wrote that twice).
Need more reasons to come and work for us?
You’ll get to learn from a multi-cultural team of fin-tech disruptors at one of the fastest growing online brands in Asia. Our work makes us innovative, agile, brave and result-driven but we also just love what we do – and because we love what we do, we’re fun to be around (well, we think so anyway). We’ve got an open and transparent culture so what you see is what you get: we’re not cool with office politics. We value freedom and high performance above blindly following processes. In fact, we like it when you challenge our processes. We also like it when you show curiosity for new ideas that make a difference. And, we love it when you discover practical solutions to tough problems. We give lots of high fives for solving tough problems.
You can expect to receive a bumper pack of GoBear benefits, including Premium Healthcare for international usage, flexibility in working times and remote locations to promote a great work-life balance, an agile working environment and of course, the latest MacBook Pro and 4K monitor!