Emerging Markets Director
Interested to join the Bears team? Submit your application to [email protected]!
GoBear is Asia’s leading financial services platform with a mission to improve the financial health of our region’s many people. We do that by empowering users with the know-how, tools and financial products to meet their individual needs. More importantly, we believe that personal financial health leads to more secure, stable and sustainable communities across Asia. Yes, we feel we have a higher purpose.
Our financial services platform includes an online marketplace for financial products, digital insurance brokerage and digital lending business all built on a strong foundation of data to drive efficiency. To date, we have served over 55 million users searching for more than 2,000 products.
As a fintech leader, we bring innovative solutions to address important local market challenges (of which there are many!). Our alternative data - including consumer behaviour and digital footprints - gives us critical insights to assess and price risk better, work with partners to identify market gaps, and co-create relevant financial products.
Having started in Singapore in early 2015, which is now called the ‘Bear Cave’, today we’re active in 7 markets: Singapore, Hong Kong SAR, Thailand, Vietnam, the Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia.
Reporting to the Chief Lending Officer (responsible for digital lending business) and Chief Growth Officer (responsible for online marketplace), you will lead our newly formed ‘Emerging Markets’ region, including Vietnam and the Philippines. With our recent acquisition of AsiaKredit, a Philippines-focused digital lender, you will drive the acceleration and expansion of our lending business. In addition, you will oversee the development and expansion of an online lending marketplace for lending products.
Each of your countries has a team already in place, including lending operations, business development, marketplace management and marketing (a suite of services provided by regional marketing).
What expectations do we have for this role? The ideal Bear will bring what we call the “3 L’s”: they’ll be a strong leader, have deep lending expertise and a solid understanding of local markets.
- You have a strong vision (where to take business) and strategic mindset (how to get there).
- You’ve managed a P&L before, so have learned which levers to pull to drive results.
- You love using data to drive business insights and make better decisions wherever possible.
- You obsess over delivering results, whether directly or indirectly via coaching your team.
- Being collaborative is a key part of your leadership style, and defines how you do things.
- You’re a strong communicator, ensuring everybody understands strategy and priorities.
- You have 5+ years of lending experience gained in the banking or start-up world, including exposure to digital lending or mobile / online based lending.
- You understand the end-to-end lending value chain, in particular for unsecured lending.
- You understand alternative data used in credit underwriting and for assessing credit risk.
- You know how tech is used to improve underwriting and servicing processes / automation.
- You have exposure to digital customer acquisition and performance marketing.
- You have an understanding of different lending models, like LaaS and pre-approved loans.
- With a track record of deal making, you also know how to sign up the best new partners.
- You take regulatory compliance seriously, to ensure GoBear is always within the law.
- You have a deep understanding of at least one market (Vietnam or the Philippines), including knowledge of local regulatory requirements for the lending industry.
- Working across countries and cultures comes naturally to you, you’ve done it before.
- You already have plenty of lending industry contacts that you can immediately tap.
- Ideally you speak either Vietnamese or Tagalog (or both, because we’re greedy!).
- You’re entrepreneurial, with a passion for overcoming obstacles to build scalable business.
- You’re intellectually curious, with a proven ability to understand / solve complex problems.
- You have academic chops, with BSc / BA in a related discipline; and MBA degree a plus.