Celebrate good times, come on! 2019 is quickly drawing to a close, with Christmas, New Year and Chinese New Year all fast approaching! If you have your heart set on planning a festive party this year, you might be interested to find out how you can make it more affordable. After all, very few of us can plan a spare-no-expense type shindig! So here’s a thought, why not spend less on festive celebrations by making use of credit card perks. Things like cashback rebates, reward points, and exclusive discounts available with good credit cards can help you save more and offset the costs of your party expenses.
Here is a handy guide to planning a budget-friendly festive party and saving as much as possible with the help of credit card perks.
Budget-friendly festive party checklist
In the movies, the most ‘hip-and happening’ holiday house parties seem to just happen… but in real life, they do require a bit of planning. So before we get into how you can use your credit card perks to help pay, at least in part, for your festive celebration; let’s run through a few must-dos when planning a holiday party:
Start with a budget
“This is just a house party, do I really need a budget?” Yes, you do. Believe it or not, no matter where your party lands on the grandness scale — budgets will always come in handy. It helps direct resources toward the essential and will be useful when making decisions about your party. What do we mean? Well, when you see how much it’s going to cost to invite 35 people to your Nigella Lawson-inspired holiday event, you might then make the decision to trim the guest list and pare down the menu.
Settle on a theme
When dealing with a limited budget, creative solutions are always welcomed. Themes allow for creative sides to be explored, in lieu of big budgets. For instance, if you want to invite more people to your party, but can’t afford to do much in terms of food, booze, or entertainment; why not host a holiday movie party? Serve cost-friendly popcorn and hot chocolate, and stream classic festive movies like the Nightmare Before Christmas or Elf. Other budget-conscious party themes to consider include karaoke, crafting, or fondue parties. Whatever you decide, know that there’s a lot that you can do with a small budget and still have fun; all it takes is a little imagination.
Good grub will take up a huge chunk of your party budget, so if you can’t afford to spend a whole lot — do pot luck with a festive twist. Get attendees to bring their favourite holiday dish or treat to share. This is a cool way to get to know your party people on a deeper, foodie-based level and to use the communal spirit to share the costs of your party menu. Win-win-win!
Make a to-do list and delegate
Festive parties can bring people together — so why not get ‘the people’ to pitch in? Rather than doing it all yourself or hiring help, save your energy and your cash, and ask for a hand. You know how it works, just write out a to-do list and delegate duties to your festive helpers. This way, you can play ‘hostess with the mostess’ and still enjoy the party without burning out from party prep alone!
Festive decorations and soft furnishings (e.g. table cloths, rugs, drapes, etc.) are what sets the scene, but it can also burn a hole in your pocket. Get around expensive décor with DIY projects! All you’ll need is a free weekend, access to YouTube videos, and craft supplies/tools to make your own decorations. See the above-mentioned tip and get friends to join and bring their supplies too. Side note: Crafting together may cause all involved to get into the festive spirit and the DIY décor produce may be attached with sentimental value down the road.
Now for the juicy bit, how can one spend less on their festive party with credit card perks? Read on to find out!
Use credit card perks and promos to save more on festive party prep
As mentioned, good credit cards typically come with some combination of perks that can help you save money when you use them. These can come in the form of cashback rebates, reward points, mobile payment perks, and other discounts.
Here are some ideas to help you take full advantage of credit card perks and deals to enjoy maximum savings when hosting your next holiday get-together.
Make use of credit card cashback rebates to offset costs
When shopping for food, beverages, and other party supplies; use a credit card with good cashback rewards to ramp up savings. Here are a few credit card options that offer high cashback rates:
- Get up to 8% cashback when you shop for your festive spread with a UOB Delight Card at Market Place, Cold Storage, Jason’s, and Giant.
- The Standard Chartered Unlimited Cashback Credit Card is one of the best to swipe for groceries, as it gives 1.5% cashback with no cap or minimum spend required. Also, if you sign up for and link your Unlimited$aver savings account to your credit card; you can get up to 5% cashback when depositing into the account. Current promotion: New-to-bank cardholders receive S$80 cashback when applying for a digital card online.
- If you prefer to buy your groceries online because you appreciate the convenience and time saved, you might also appreciate the 5% cashback on online grocery shopping with the DBS Live Fresh Card. Note that cashback is capped at S$20 per month with a minimum spend of S$600 per month. Current promotion: New DBS/POSB Cardmembers who apply online and charge a minimum of S$600 on their new card each month can get up to S$180 in cashback.
- The Maybank Family & Friends Card offers special cashback rewards plus bonus cashback for certain categories of swipes e.g. groceries. Get up to 8% cashback (with terms) when shopping at grocery stores, supermarkets, or even online grocers.
Pay for party supplies with credit card rewards
Instead of using cash or credit to pay for the things you’ll need for your party, why not take advantage of credit card reward points and use them as payment instead (where accepted). Here are examples of excellent credit card rewards that let you pay/offset costs with points and vouchers.
- With a DBS Black Visa Card, you can rack up DBS Points quickly with no cap or minimum spend when you use your card to spend on dining, petrol, shopping, groceries, and entertainment, as well as travel and overseas swipes. You can then take these points and convert them to cash, vouchers, or miles, and use it to offset or pay for purchases (party-related or otherwise). For example, use 20,000 DBS Points to redeem S$200 in credit, or 690 DBS Points for a S$10 NTUC voucher, or 3,200 DBS Points for a S$50 voucher at Takashimaya Department Store.
- The Citi Rewards Card points system makes it easy to collect ‘Citi Dollars’ quickly. You can earn 10 Citi Dollars per S$1 spent for retail shopping at department stores and online. There is no minimum spend to earn these points, but there is a reward cap at 10,000 points per statement month. You can also earn 1 Citi Dollar per S$1 spent on dining, petrol, groceries, and entertainment. The conversion rates for the points you’ve earned are rather competitive (440 Points to S$1.00) and easy to make use of. For example, you can pay with points via online/the Citi Mobile® App, cash rebates via SMS, or even a digital wallet like Samsung Pay (to offset eligible transactions on your credit card bill). You can also instantly redeem cash vouchers at participating outlets/merchants like Meidi-Ya grocery store (for party food and supplies, perhaps?). Last but not least, you can also use your points to shop for just about anything at Amazon.
- The Maybank TREATS Points Rewards Programme offers cash voucher redemptions and cash credit transfers (for holders of valid cards e.g. Maybank Visa Infinite Card), among others. You can use the cash vouchers to shop for festive supplies at departmental stores like Isetan, Metro, and Tangs; retail stores like Al-Futtaim Retail Asia; and many other participating merchants. With the cash credit programme, members can transfer TREATS Points into their account (to offset credit card bill).
Credit card discounts
Another way to save on festive party spending is to make use of exclusive discounts that come with your credit card. For example, if you have an eligible Citi credit card; you can use it to get in on discounts and vouchers on Lazada and Redmart on Lazada (redemptions are limited; first-come, first served). As you probably know, you can buy almost anything on Lazada, so festive shopping on the site should be beary convenient. Redmart is an online grocery store that offers free delivery with a minimum purchase, which again, is super handy when it comes to stocking up for your celebration!
Looking for credit card perks like these? Find the most rewarding cards on GoBear.
It’s completely possible to host an awesome festive party, without breaking the bank! But to do so, you’ll need to work out a practical budget, get friends to pitch in and be sure to make use of available discounts and promos. There are plenty of credit card perks that go unused and then to waste. Get to know the full range of benefits available with your credit cards and do responsibly take advantage of cashbacks, discounts, and reward points on offer! This way, you can stretch the value of your dollar and throw an unforgettable festive party with peace of mind! Don't already have a good credit card with great perks? GoBear can help you search for, compare, and get the right cards that make the most sense for you!
Compare Credit Cards On GoBear