What You Need to Know About Singles’ Day
We’re a few days away from November 11 a.k.a. Singles’ Day but it seems that everyone—or most online shopping sites, at least—is ready for the world’s biggest shopping spree.
Despite its origin being a “quirky celebration for unmarried young adults” as Bloomberg Businessweek puts it, Singles’ Day has become the much-awaited global shopping festival that’s bigger than Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales. Can you imagine how huge this online (and offline) event is?
But how did it start?
Singles’ Day began in 1993 at Nanjing University in China where students celebrate their pride in being single. The date, November 11th or 11:11, was chosen because the number “1” symbolizes an individual who is alone.
So, what happens during Singles’ Day?
Some sites also extend their promotions for a week or so, so there’s a lot to watch out for during this event.
How do you make the most out of this big online shopping event?
We’ve come up with some tips to help you catch the best deals this sale season. Are you ready to shop ‘til you drop?
- Make a list of the items that you *really* need. Do you need to get a few things for your home? Or should you start shopping for Christmas gifts? Jot down the things you might find online, so you wouldn’t have to waste time trying to figure out which items you should buy.
- Follow online shopping sites on social media. These sites announce their promotions via their social media accounts. You can also sign up for their email newsletters, so you don’t miss their 11:11 deals and offers.
- Compare prices before making that purchase. You can check the prices of the items you’re eyeing especially if they are being offered with a much bigger discount somewhere else. It helps to compare if you’re trying to shop on a budget.
- Collect vouchers and promo codes for extra discounts. Lazada lets you play for discount vouchers on specific brands. There are sites that also offer promo codes that you can use when shopping during Singles’ Day. Take note of these vouchers and promo codes because some may only be valid for a certain period of time.
- See if your credit card has promos during the sale event. Some credit card issuers offer rebates or rewards points when you shop online. Just don’t forget to keep track of your expenses to avoid spending beyond your credit limit.
People Also Read:
- Is Your Next Purchase Worth the Swipe?
- Managing Multiple Credit Cards: Dos and Don’ts
- How Credit Cards Help Establish Credit History
Shopping with a credit card, whether offline or online, comes with great responsibility. And we at GoBear want to help you be financially responsible because how you swipe or use that tiny plastic card of yours can make or break your credit score.
Mark your calendars, so you can enjoy shopping on November 11!
Find the credit card that fits your lifestyle by comparing credit cards with GoBear.