Top Credit Cards for First Timers 2019
Although credit cards provide convenience when shopping and traveling, their practical usability has always been a point of debate. What many fear about credit cards is the tendency to get buried in debt, but this is actually more a product of mismanagement than the credit card itself.
With the air miles, frequent flyer programs, and rewards points that come with most credit cards, it might be time to face this fear with the knowledge that proper usage and management of a credit card will help rather than harm your financial situation.
Below are GoBear’s picks for the top credit cards for first-time users. Check them out and see which one meets your needs.
For the practical credit card user, the Citi Simplicity+ Credit Card is the ideal partner. Doing away with the usual credit card fees, like annual and overlimit fees, all you need to worry about is when and where to use your credit card. Citibank’s partner establishments won’t leave you wanting of options, either, with exclusive deals and promos on dining, shopping, travel, and lifestyle services. If keeping it simple is your philosophy, there’s no better partner than the Citi Simplicity+ Credit Card.
- No annual fees
- No late payment fees
- No overlimit fees
- 10% interest back
The PNB Essentials Credit Card provides perks when you shop, dine, or travel so using it to pay for your purchases is always an advantage. Frequent travelers will delight in the credit card’s airmiles exchange rate of 1 point to 1 airmile and 2,000 Mabuhay Miles for every 2,000 points. An excellent credit card for everyday use, the PNB Essentials also comes with travel insurance, purchase protection and fraud transaction insurance.
- Get 1 airmile for every rewards point
- Get 2,000 Mabuhay Miles for every 2,000 points
- Earn 1 rewards point for every ₱50 spent on shopping, dining, and fuel at partner establishments
- No expiry on rewards points
Bank of Commerce Classic
The Bank of Commerce Classic Credit Card is a versatile and rewarding companion that gives you rewards the more you use it. Charge your groceries, fuel, installment, and other purchases to enjoy more exclusive perks. The Bank of Commerce Rewards Program features a wide selection of rewards merchandise and partner establishments so you can choose the rewards you want.
- Earn 1 rewards point for every ₱25 spent
- Get 4 bonus points when you spend on shopping
- Earn as much as 5x rewards points when you use your credit card at select establishments
- Enjoy 0% installment offers at select establishments
- Enjoy low monthly interest rates when converting to install big-ticket purchases
- No expiry on rewards points
Accepted worldwide, the BPI Blue Credit Card is your ideal travel partner that comes with ₱2 million free travel insurance. If you need cash in a flash, it allows you to withdraw cash up to 30% of your credit limit. No matter where you are in the world, you can get cash from among 1 million Maestro/Cirrus ATM’s globally.
- Earn 1 rewards point for every ₱35 spent
- Enjoy waived annual fees for the first year
- Get a ₱100 cash rebate for every 1,000 points earned from shopping expenses
The Metrobank Classic is the credit card that answers the call of the times. An embedded chip enhances security so your protected from fraud and unauthorized use of your credit card. It also provides a multitude of perks, discounts and rewards from M Here partner establishments. You can also use it to pay you’re your utility bills with ease through the Bills2Pay facility that’s exclusive to Metrobank.
- Earn 1 point for every ₱20 spent
- Enjoy exclusive discounts and freebies from M Here partner establishments
- Avail of the 0% installment program from a wide selection of establishments
- Convert big-ticket purchases to installment terms
If it’s your first time applying for a credit card, the credit cards listed here are great ones to start with. They will help you learn more about how credit cards and other financial services work, plus get you on your way to establishing your credit score.
Not what you’re looking for? Find the credit card that fits your lifestyle by comparing credit cards with GoBear today!