The Universal Health Care (UHC) law has sparked hope for the Filipino nation aiming for better access to medical facilities and services. With PhilHealth and the UHC, we were given that chance to get lowered medical costs. However, there are instances when the provisions of both may not be enough to address your health condition. Private organizations have come up with affordable prepaid health cards to cover whatever may not be integrated into health privileges provided by the government.
What should I consider before buying?
Before paying at least Php1,000 for that prepaid health voucher, here are a few things you should look out for:
1. Annual cost – This refers to the value of the voucher for one year. The yearly cost depends on the benefits and the health care provider. For instance, Philcare’s ER Fantage Plus has a tag of Pho1,750 while Maxicare’s EReady can be bought for as low as Php550. When checking the price, consider who are you buying the card for and what benefits are included.
2. Age – Children’s needs are different from what adults require. Kids are susceptible to certain illnesses, and you can opt for Maxicare Lite for Php2,199 to cover illnesses like dengue, cholera, malaria, typhoid, leptospirosis, and pneumonia. The PhilCare Unli-CONSULT 65+ is perfect for people 65 years old and above. It comprises extensive consultation for one year and dental services.
3. Partner institutions – Prepaid health card providers tie-up with hospitals and clinics. The partnership may not be applicable in provinces. Before buying, check hospitals and clinics in your area that honor the discounts and privileges entailed with your voucher.
4. Emergency care benefits – The primary purpose of every health voucher is to lessen the financial burden that comes with every emergency. Ask your provider what emergency benefits are included in the card. For Medicard RxER, specialized health care is focused on. The Medicard RxER can be used in accredited hospitals for access to MRI, ultrasound, CT scan and other tests. This may not include trauma cases, animal bites, burns, and accidental chemical poisoning.
What are the different prepaid health cards in the Philippines?
* Dengue Assist – A single-use voucher that gives Php30,000 worth of coverage for hospitalization in case of Dengue disease. This is worth php599.000 inclusive of VAT.
* ER Assist for Adults 40 is a health voucher worth Php1,670 covering dental consultations in MOA and Makati clinics. The benefit can be up to Php40,000 with coverage for bacterial illnesses, hospitalization, injuries from accidents except for cases of stroke.
* ER Health Assist 60 for Adults covers unlimited dental and medical consultations with single-use benefits for up to Php60,000. Buy ER Health Assist 60 for Adults for only Php1,970
* ER Shield is a health voucher for bacterial and viral diseases with benefits up to Php50,000 to pay for diagnostic procedures, laboratory, doctor’s fees, and room care costs. ER Shield costs Php800 only.
* Medicard RxER – Applicable for patients of all ages. You can buy this on sale for Php1,500 only. It provides emergency room care benefit of up to Php20,000 and an inner limit of Php5,000. It can be used in cases of accidents, animal bites with vaccines, burns and newly-acquired fractures.
* Medicard Healthplus Card – This card can used for consultation, dental service, and preventive health care purposes. For Php500, you can enjoy unlimited consultations and discounts.
* Maxicare Prima Gold – This one-time voucher is perfect for people from 60 years old and above. It can be used in major hospitals like Cardinal Santos Medical Center, Makati Medical Center, St. Luke’s Medical Center and the Medical City. The Prima Gold also covers pre-existing conditions with up to Php20,000 emergency room care benefit.
* Maxicare EReady Titanium 549 – For Php549, you can avail of Php15,000 worth of emergency room care. It covers a lot of emergency cases related to accidents, acute appendicitis, amoebiasis, burns, cardiovascular diseases, dengue, and even Diabetes Mellitus. Patients can use the eReady Titanium 549 from 15 days to 65 years old. You can also buy two cards for one person each year.
* Orange PreSchool LHMO – Applicable to children 15 days up to 5 years old. This can also be used in major hospitals including The Medical City, Makati Medical Center and Asian Hospital and Medical Center. Although it does not cover pre-existing conditions, it can be used for consultations with medical specialists in different areas like general surgery, infectious medicine, ENT and geriatrics.
* Orange general and Senior LHMO – These cards apply to patients from 5-65 years old and 66-85 years old respectively. The Senior LHMO does not provide emergency room care. Both cover accidents, trauma cases, and viral infection. Beneficiaries can also avail of full coverage for annual prophylaxis.
Depending on your need, the average cost for a prepaid health card is at Php1,000. By saving Php33 each day for a month, you can already secure the health of your loved ones for an entire year. Just make sure you have listed down things you need to consider before buying any of these vouchers.
Prepaid health cards are affordable ways to ensure you get the right medical intervention for you and your loved ones in times of need. GoBear lets you compare the best prepaid health cards in the market today so that you get the right health benefit.