8 Popular E-Wallets Trending in Malaysia Right Now
Fintech developments have revolutionised payment systems in Malaysia - and at an immense speed too! While most of us still love cold, hard cash, knowing that you can go cashless at your favourite shops is a heavensent convenience!
In fact, if you need to pay utility bills or want to send some moolah to a friend, e-wallet apps now have you covered.
However, before we dive into some of the cool e-wallets the Bear have compiled, here are two crucial things you should consider before choosing one:
- Spending habit
Think about what you want to use the e-wallet for. This could be to get the best deals at your favourite stores or to pay off your monthly bills.
Do you often pay for your parking fees? Or maybe you're a frequent flyer of a specific airline. Whatever your lifestyle is, the right e-wallet can cater (and upgrade) your lifestyle.
Let’s look into eight popular e-wallets in Malaysia for your easy reference and see what they have to offer.
1. Maybank QRPay
Maybank launched a convenient and speedy payment solution called QRPay. It allows you to send and receive money instantly from your bank account and even monitor your business transactions conveniently on-the-go.
What makes Maybank QRPay unique is that it is directly provided by Maybank, unlike other e-wallets where you need to link your credit or debit card.
On the merchant’s side, Maybank QRPay lets you receive money from your customers instantly and offer you real-time business transaction data. This allows you to track your sales for up to 90 days.
How it works:
- Download the application
- Launch the mobile app
- Scan the merchant’s QR code
- Enter the amount to pay and you’re done!
- Bank-to-bank transfer app that makes online purchases possible directly from the bank account without needing to download a third-party app
- Direct deduction from Maybank savings and current account and immediate credit to the merchant
- Transfer and receive money from your smartphone to your bank account
- Allows easy access to real-time daily payment transactions and statuses up to 90 days
Discover all you need to know about Maybank QRPay here.
If you’re a frequent AirAsia flyer, then BigPay is for you. BigPay is an e-wallet and accompanying prepaid card service launched by AirAsia. This payment solution simplifies digital payment with an e-wallet and debit card coupled together.
BigPay can be used both online and offline. The debit card works like your typical plastic card; beneficial for cardless Malaysians. The smartphone app, on the other hand, allows you to pay for services through in-app purchases.
You can also book your AirAsia flights using BigPay to earn exciting rewards and benefits.
How it works:
Users can get the app by downloading through the App Store or Google Play and receive your card to your chosen address after 3-5 business days.
After a successful account registration and verification, users can start purchasing, transferring money or booking flights through the app.
- Great option for people who often fly with AirAsia
- Transfer money to your family and friends for free
- Allows user to track and categorise their expenses through their smartphone
- Earn points for every transaction to redeem AirAsia flights
- Provides the best exchange rate when spending abroad
Go big with BigPay today and reap the rewards, especially if you're a fan of AirAsia.
3. WeChat Pay
WeChat Pay is a new player in the market that launched late August of this year. Following its runaway success in China, WeChat Pay aims to make the same impact in Malaysia.
With over 20 million estimated WeChat users in Malaysia, this new digital payment vehicle enables users to recharge, pay bills, and transfer funds.
What’s interesting with WeChat Pay is that users can choose various payment system including QuickPay (Scan QR Code and Pay), visit the app through the website, or within the app on mobile device.
How it works:
The process is quite easy. After downloading the app, you need to top up the app before using it. You can deposit cash by linking your credit or debit card to your WeChat Pay MY account.
- Multiple payment methods – Quick Pay, QR Code, In-app web-based, or Native in-app payments
- Transfer cash with Money Packet – an in-app feature that enables users to send funds individually or groups
- Withdraw your e-wallet balance at any bank in Malaysia
- Cross-border settlement – seamless payment transactions between foreign currency payments; eliminates the need to have your Ringgit changed to other currencies.
Click here to find out what makes WeChat Pay the runaway success it is today.
Boost is an e-wallet developed by Axiata Digital - that's right, the same parent company of Celcom.
This app started off as a lifestyle loyalty and prepaid top-up-app, however it has since pivoted into a full-fledged digital wallet.
Now, its users get to collect loyalty rewards, send and receive e-vouchers, transfer money, and so much more.
Unlike other e-wallets, it extends cashless payment to hawker stalls, Ramadhan bazaars, and pasar malams. This homegrown e-wallet aims to gain as many as 100,000 merchants by the end of 2018.
How it works:
Boost allows users to send payments with a simple “Scan & Pay” function. One of Boost's killer features is that users can receive cashback by giving the phone a shake after every transaction made through the app.
Furthermore, you can pay your household bills via Boost. Just go to the bills tab and select the utility you want to pay and enter the amount.
- Got wheels? Pay your parking fee with Boost
- Free money transfer across all networks in Malaysia
- Split the bills amongst your friends who also use the Boost app
- Earn up to 50% cash rebate (with a cap) when purchasing with Boost
- Purchase discount vouchers for shopping and dining or send them as gifts
Ready for a boost? Just one click to get Boost-ed!
GrabPay is the behemoth ride-sharing company’s integrated cashless system within the app.
Whether you want to grab food or a ride, GrabPay lets you pay for their services and in stores or restaurants by using QR codes. GrabPay is a mobile wallet solution that provides convenience to its users and drivers in Malaysia.
How it works:
You can start using GrabPay through GrabWallet by entering your details and MyKad/Passport number. Once your account has been created, top up using your credit/debit card, online bank transfer, over-the-counter, and even at 7-Eleven outlets.
- No need to download additional app, just use Grab to pay for Grab’s services and extended services through partnered merchants
- Collect points and redeem various attractive deals every time you use GrabPay with GrabWallet
- Transfer GrabPay credits to your loved ones directly
- Convenient and cash-free way of paying for your ride, Grab Food and other services offered by Grab
- GrabPay is accepted in more than 500 famous food and beverage merchants in Klang Valley, Penang, Johor Bahru, Ipoh, Melaka, Kota Kinabalu, Kuching and Kuantan.
Click on to find out all the details behind Grab's app which combines ride-hailing, food delivery, and e-wallet.
China’s indigenous mobile wallet AliPay had set foot in Malaysia early last year. Over 110,000 retail stores currently accept AliPay and it is supported in over 80 markets overseas.
Users can enjoy paying for their taxi ride, hotel bookings, movie tickets and even doctor appointments using AliPay.
How it works:
Once you have the app downloaded, sign up using your mobile number. You can load up your wallet by linking your bank card and entering your credentials.
- Use AliPay for online and offline purchases: 7-Eleven outlets, Berjaya Group merchants, Starbucks outlets, etc.
- Transaction fee of only 0.6%, represents a far lower fee compared to the transaction fee of credit cards
- Well-established and recognised in China, so you can expect a reliable e-wallet service
Go cashless with AliPay and find out how it benefits you here.
7. Touch ‘n Go eWallet
Touch ‘n Go entered the Malaysian e-wallet race in collaboration with AliPay. With this partnership, they were able to leverage on Alipay's technology platform to serve its Malaysian users and gain access to more services including secure payment and digital financial services.
With e-wallet on one hand and a Touch ‘n Go card on the other, users can make payments on public transportation, selected retail outlets, pay for parking, transfer funds and earn rewards through its app features.
How it works:
Set up your Touch ‘n Go account by entering your key information, security question and 6-digit pin. The 6-digit pin provides extra security every time you make payments.
Users can simply reload their wallet via online banking, debit/credit card and Touch ‘n Go e-Wallet reload PIN.
- Easy and convenient reloading with Automatic Reload Function.
- Get free electronic statement to view your transaction details
- Enter your 6-digit pin to access QR code and initiate payment
- RFID sticker attached to your vehicle for more convenient toll payment system can be linked to your e-wallet
- Allows payment for public transportation, prepaid or postpaid phone bills and carparks, petrol, retail chains restaurant, healthcare and many more.
- Purchase movie tickets or book a flight using the app
Ready to hit up Touch 'n Go's e-wallet?
FavePay, a mobile payment app launched by Fave; the company bought over Groupon Malaysia last November 2016, a well-known site for discounts deals and vouchers.
By inheriting Groupon’s steady base of customers, the brand is able to provide services to its existing three million subscribers.
How it works:
Keep in mind that FavePay should not be confused as a digital wallet. It’s a mobile payment application that allows users to link their credit/debit card using their phone. Unlike an e-wallet, you can’t store balance with a FavePay.
Once an account has been created, you can start shopping at selected partners on the Fave mobile app or head to FavePay's partnered merchants.
- Provides a plethora of the latest discounted offers on food, beauty, activities, travel, services and gifts
- Receive an instant cashback of up to 20% when you use a code provided by FavePay (30% for new users)
- Get exclusive rebates when you purchase from a specific merchant
- Integrated with over 1,000 merchants
Download FavePay here today!
So, there you have it. If you're getting into the e-wallet game, these eight options offer a variety of different features designed to suit the needs of today's connected consumers. Of course, there are plenty more and we intend to update you in the near future!
Just remember why you need one in the first place, and if it actually suits your lifestyle!